Monday, July 21, 2008

I guess 1st year wasn't a waste!

For you to really understand what a week we had last week, you may want to read the previous post before this one.

So I officially finished my first year of dental school two days ago. For the last 8 weeks I have been working in a dental office as noted in a previous post. The idea of it was to help us apply what we had learned during the year, particularly in our introduction to dental practice course. It turns out that the most important knowlege I applied during my internship was actually from Microbiology and outside of the dental office.


A few weeks ago EmmaLee got a bug bite on the back of her knee while we were at home. We didn't really think anything about it at the time. However, 3 or 4 days after our ultrasound she noticed a rash around the area and I noticed another rash on her chest. Because of what I learned in Micro and the bug bite, I immediately suspected Lyme Disease. The picture above is EmmaLee's rash. Lyme disease has this very classic "Bull's Eye" appearance. It is spread by deer ticks which apparently are very prolific in the North East. We think it was one of the smaller ones (larva or nymph form) that got her.



Part of the reason that we didn't worry when she originally got the bug bite is because we han't been to a wooded area recently. We did go in the woods in Concord with my sister's family but EmmaLee remembers getting the bite before that. We're still puzzled about where the tick came from. Well, we got her to the doctor that day and got her on some antibiotics. It immediately started to clear up. The doctor said that due to the immediate intervention there was very little risk of any of the chronic effects of Lyme disease and that the baby would be fine.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to be a pity party. We are actually doing really great and have a positive outlook about everything that is going on with us.

6 comments:

Em Russ said...

Just so you know, I'm totally freaked out now about bug bites. What if you got it in my back yard... ughhhhh!! Glad you're ok though EmmaLee!

Marci said...

EmmaLee! WOW. What an adventure you have had recently! I haven't checked your blog for a while and look at all this excitement going on over there!

So sorry about the lyme disease! Good thing you caught it. I'm not sure I would have, but now I know. :) With the cleft - talk to Geoff or me about that. I'm sure you'll be fabulous parents and will survive all the surgeries. It's not so bad, really. If you want to talk, let me know. :)

Clint, Camber, Camdon, Carolina, Corbin, and Cordelia said...

Hey there! First of all, Bob maybe you should be a doctor and not a dentist ... although I am sure you are going to make an excellent Dentist! Emm I totally hope you are feeling better, we are praying for you! Good Luck with everything going on with that wonderful baby boy. You are so strong! Seriously let me know if we can do anything! Hopefully Camdon and I will see you next week. We love you 3!

cami said...

emmalee- What a crazy life girl. I hope you can recover good and fast. Also congrats on the pregnancy It can be a rollercoaster ride. Good Luck with everything.

Lisa said...

Bob, Rich is proud of your diagnostic skills. We look forward to you being our dentist someday. EmmaLee, we hope you are feeling well and are glad to hear the antibotics are working.

Cami Rivas said...

I didn't realize you had two friends named Cami. So this is Cami Wright. :)

I agree with Camber--maybe Bob should be a doctor! *haha*

Good heavens, what an adventure you've been having... I can see now why you said that you've been busy. But they say when it rains it pours, huh? I think you got a great umbrella, though, so no worries! :)

So I have a confession: I've been trying to weasel my way out of my work to come and see you... it hasn't worked out yet, and so I can't count on it, but now reading your posts! Goodness sakes! My motivation level was injected with some adrenaline.

Hope you're doing well and that it hasn't affected you too much. I will pray for you both. Let me know if there's anything more I can do.

Just in case I don't make it down there next week, be sure to post pictures so I can see. :)