Tuesday, September 28, 2010

We interrupt our regular programming...

...to bring you "breaking" news. Ezra broke his arm last week, and in true Ezra style it was a HUGE deal. I have said it before, but some kids have all the luck and Ezra is not one of them. I will finish off our Utah trip later, but lets back up for the full story.

While we were in Utah Ezra slept on a little kid air mattress, and in order to keep him in bed to go to sleep, I started the very bad habit of laying next to him on the floor. Needless to say after 5 weeks he has decided to be completely dependent on me for falling asleep. When we got back to Boston he started to wake up a lot in the night, and with sleeping somewhere different every other night (I can't wait to be done with Holyoke.) he often ended up in bed with me. I am normally VERY anti Ezra in my bed, but exhaustion drove me to such madness. After two literally sleepless nights in Holyoke I was determined to get Ezra back to sleeping on his own.

We got back from Holyoke at 11:30, played a little, had lunch and then were ready for the crying to begin. As soon as I mentioned the word nap Ezra started in with "Mommy's bed", but much to his dismay I insisted he sleep in "Ezra's bed". He was of course crying, but I was ready for five minutes of it before I went back in. Unfortunately, I think we made it about 2 minutes before I heard the thud. I went in to find Ezra on the floor. I was a bit surprised because I have never once seen even a hint of him trying to climb out. I decided that there would be no napping in the crib today until I could figure out a way to keep him from climbing out, so I gave in and took him to my bed. When I laid him down I went to hold his hand (something he likes me to do while he goes to sleep so he knows if I try to leave) and felt that his wrist was clearly deformed. I looked down and knew that we would be making a trip to the ER.


When we got to the ER they got us in to the triage nurse fairly quickly because Ezra's arm was visibly broken. They took his vitals and stuck me in a wheel chair with him on my lap and his arm on a pillow. While we waited to be seen by the doctor Ezra drifted off to sleep. When they wheeled us back the doctor checked Ezra's eyes and felt his arm, and he slept through all of it. She decided that was not a normal response, that he should have woke up crying. Because I had not seen him fall they felt they had to assume a head injury. They took him from me (which woke him and sent him into a screaming frenzy) laid him on a bed, and stuck a neck brace on him. He, of course, hated it and he spent the next 30 minutes or so fighting me and three other people trying to hold him down. They decided he needed to be transferred to Children's Hospital and called an ambulance. They kept calling him Houdini because despite four of us holding him down he managed to get the brace off of his arm three times. When the paramedics finally arrived it was even more mayhem trying to keep him still and get him strapped to a board to transport. Once we got him into the ambulance, and he could hold my hand he calmed down.

While we drove, with lights and sirens blaring, Ezra fell asleep again. I am sure he was exhausted. When we were getting close the paramedic checked his eyes and decided to wake him. He was lightly pinching the inside of his arm and he just kept sleeping. This freaked him out, so they rushed him in to the Children's ER announcing that they had an unresponsive toddler. This sent a ton of people into a flurry of activity. Once again, as soon as they went to move him he woke up screaming and fighting. They cut off his shirt, started an IV, put a much better brace on his arm, and switched for a smaller neck brace. They ordered a CT scan of his head and X-rays of his neck, elbow and wrist. They said they would likely keep him overnight for observation.
Poor little guy! Check out the messy IV and the pool of blood.


I won't bore you with the details of the next eight hours of our time in the ER other than to say that the radiology tech was less than gentle (but his wrist did look a lot more straight when she was done) and that everyone kept commenting on how sleepy he was. It turns out that he was just tired (like I had thought the whole time), and all his tests came back great, with the exception of the wrist, which was obviously broken. When they finally decided we could go home the doctor came in and said "How comfortable do you feel going home?". I'm sure it doesn't surprise anyone that I quickly replied "Super comfortable!". It was a long day! Allison picked us up about 10pm and took us back to our car which was still at Mt. Auburn Hospital (thanks again). The worst part was that Bob was in Holyoke so I was flying solo the whole time. I'm sure it all seemed a lot more scary for him from a distance, what with talk of a neurosurgeon and all. I was mostly starving and sick of people asking me if I was holding on okay. I hate crying, and it is the last thing Ezra needs to see with all that crazy stuff going on. I can stay calm and collected, but the more people ask, the more you feel like breaking down.
With the neck brace off and finally able to sit up a little he was much happier.

This picture pretty much sums up the day!

They had to send us home in a gown and blanket since they cut off his shirt.
He was just ready to go to bed by the time we got home.

It took Ezra a couple of days to adjust to the cast, but he is doing really well. We even went to the zoo the next morning. That will be another post though. I love when people ask him what happened to his arm he just points to it and says "broken" or "blue cast". He is such a trooper and needs to be with luck like his!

12 comments:

Em Russ said...

I have a crib tent... would you like to borrow it??? Poor little guy. So sorry! Wish I was across the street still to help you.

Alicia said...

EmmaLee - I admire you so much. I would have been a basket case, especially with not enough sleep. Bruce & I have been praying for both you & Ezra since Bob told us about Ezra's accident. ( We always pray for all of you but we've been more specific lately with your recent concerns.) It still amazes me that Bob never broke any bones with his love of jumping off high places. We love you. Hang in there.

Melenie said...

Poor kid! Poor Mama! I would have been crying the entire time. I'm glad he's okay!

Kalia said...

Oh my goodness Emm! Poor little Ezra. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. No fun. :( But I'm glad that all turned out well. I hope Ezra heals fast!

Lisa said...

Crazy!! We heard Ezra broke his arm, but we didn't hear the whole story. I can't believe what he went through. Ezra is so tough it amazes me. You are pretty amazing too for dealing with all that on your own. We hope all will go well with the healing process. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

Steve and Sherrie said...

Oh, EmmaLee, I'm so sorry. Sounds like you handled it in beautiful EmmaLee-fashion. This brings back bad memories of little Nathan in a neck brace in an ER bed with a very badly botched IV and a cut-off shirt. The one good memory is of his cute little "picture" smile squishing in the neck brace every time the x-ray tech told him she was taking his picture. He fell asleep in the ambulance strapped to a headboard, too, which completely freaked me out. Both R & N were out of their cribs at 18 months because of their spiderman skills. So glad you're on the other side looking back. We'll pray for a speedy recovery. Love you guys!

Brittany said...

Geez, Avery's bad health week sounds like nothing compared to your "breaking day". I'm so sorry to hear about little Ezra. Still trying to fly like Superman huh? I'm so glad that all those other tests came back normal. You guys are troopers. Hope Ezra gets better soon. We miss you guys.
-Jared

Brittany said...

I love how in the end picture, he's back again in your bed. I couldn't believe the post as I read it, poor Ezra, poor Bob and poor you! All when you were being a good mom too, getting him to sleep where he should. Hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out...then again, he is a boy and boys seem to find a way of getting hurt. (Today Austin pulled his dresser down on top of him somehow. I heard a thud and a wail and now he has a huge goose-egg perfectly centered on his forehead. Gotta love these rough and tough boys huh?)

Anne said...

Wow. I am so sorry you guys. I'm pretty sure that I had to move Parker and Zoie to a toddler bed around 18 months. My kids loved moving into a toddler bed because they could get out whenever they wanted. You guys are so amazing. Ezra is such a trooper and you are an amazing mom.

Crystal said...

What a pain! Poor kid and poor Mom.

DaveandJessica said...

Poor little guy! It made me so sad to look at those pictures of him in the hospital with the IV and all! He really is a tough one. So are you EmmaLee. We love you guys and will keep you in our prayers. Give Ezra extra hugs and kisses from us.

Charmayne said...

WoW! Doug and I couldn't believe the pics. It's so hard to go through those things especially solo. Your an awesome Mom EmmaLee. I hear those crib tents are fabulous, you may want to take your friend up on her offer. ;) I guess I lucked out with my kiddo's never climbing out. Give Hudini a big hug and kiss from us and tell him we think his cast is way cool! Now there's some fun scrapbooking material!