Thursday, October 13, 2011

North Carolina

 Ever since I did my 5th grade report on the state of NC, I have wanted to go see the Cape Hatteras light house. Then when I lived with Camber, it renewed my wish to go, and now many years later I finally made it. Shortly after we entered the state we drove past GRAVEDIGGER. The boys made us turn around and go back an up close and personal experience.



We continued on our way to Kitty Hawk to see the Wright Brothers National Monument. It was really interesting and I am glad we were just in time for the telling of their story.

 This is a replica of the plane they made their first flight in.

 Here I am flying out to the 4 different distances their first flights went. 
You can see the last marker way out there. Way to go guys!




 Snapped this one on the drive. We didn't have time to go see all of the cool lighthouses.
This is the Bodie Island lighthouse.





 It was really smokey from some fire on the mainland, but the view was still great!



We decided to take a ferry back to the mainland rather than trekking all the way back up the Outer Banks. I turned out to take a lot longer, but we enjoyed the experience and the break from the car.

 We had about an hour wait between the two different ferry rides. 
Luckily their gift shop was going out of business so we scored some 
cheap souvenirs including the Frisbee that kept the boys entertained.



Here we are on the ferry with a front row view. 
Sorry the only view you get to see is of some man.

5 comments:

Anne said...

The light house looks cool but I've seen the gravedigger twice and it's pretty awesome.

Steve and Sherrie said...

So, so, so jealous. Not of the Gravedigger, however. My fascination with North Carolina continues....

Clint, Camber, Camdon, Carolina, Corbin, and Cordelia said...

Oh my gosh! I just wish we could have been there together! You were so close to Harkers Island (where my grandma lives)! I am glad you had a great time. It really is a wonderful place huh? Which Ferry is that? Swan Quarter or Cedar Island?

Bob said...

It should be noted that it was completely by accident that we ran into the Grave Digger World Headquarters and it was possibly the highlight of the trip! The girls totally protested turning around to see it.

sherrie said...

Awesome. My fascination with North Carolina continues.....