Saturday, February 26, 2011

Do we eat our bed?

To help Ezra understand when it is okay to do something, and when it is not, we ask him a lot of questions. These questions are usually about something that he just did wrong. For example, lets say Ezra colored on the wall...
Us:  "Do we color on the wall?"
Ezra: "nooo"
Us: "Do we color on our bed?"
Ezra: "nooo"
Us: "Do we color on the floor?"
Ezra: "nooo"
Us: "Do we color on paper?"
Ezra: "Yeah"
Us: "That's right, we only color on paper."

You will hear this for all sorts of things at our house. I often hear Ezra from the back seat of the car saying things like: "Do we kick the car? Noooo. Do we kick our friends? Nooo. Do we kick a ball? Yeah?", all to himself. I guess it is good reminding.

Lately we have had to ask "Do we eat our bed? nooo. Do we eat our toys? nooo. Do we eat Daddy? nooo. Do we eat our food? Yeah"! I think it works pretty well, but as you can see from the pictures it is not completely 100% effective.



These happened on at least two separate occasions. I think they happened when he should have been falling asleep for his nap, but needed a snack instead, I guess. The little stinker! You can see that I tried to color in one spot with a marker, but it clearly didn't work.

8 comments:

Alicia said...

Well at least he has good strong teeth :)

Nathan said...

I really like your question approach--that's an effective way of looking at life--evaluating the appropriateness of your actions.

Your post reminds me of Nathan's chewing phase. He would literally pick up shoes and chew on them like a puppy. (Gag!) It really is a miracle that they survive childhood.

Brittany said...

I love this post!! Can't believe he's so grown up and chewing on his own bed and everything. Hey, did I tell you Jared's sister is moving out there from Virginia? Her husband is teaching at Harvard for two years and we're trying to convince them how great Belmont is but they said they can't find any housing there. If you hear of anything opening up in the ward, would you mind letting us know? They had a little 3 year old and she's expecting in July. Thanks! Can't believe you're almost done!!

Cami Rivas said...

Hilarious! I always knew that you'd be an awesome mom :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't know if you remember me, this is Cassidy, Britt's sister. I always look at your blog, and I know how fun it is to get comments, so I figured I should acutally comment, and tell you that I like your blog. Consider me a blog stalker...

Yor family is so cute. Good luck with the weather, apartment, biting, etc... it sure is awesome being a mom!

Brittney said...

I love the "yoink yoink" comment. He must watch the Simpsons with Bob...

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear you guys aren't sleeping much either. It is a daily battle with us. Ava use to be a wonderful sleeper and now each day we don't know what will happen.

Thanks for this post. I think you guys are great parents and I like how you are teaching Ezra about right and wrong. What a good approach. It is fun to learn diferent techniques from other parents. I can't wait until we can swap ideas in person.

Good luck with the sleep battle. We will be thinking of you at 3:30am when Ava wakes up crying.

Fowler family said...

Hey, I don't know if you will remember me or not- you posted a comment on cleftnotes.blogspot.com a while back.

I can't believe how big your son is now! He looks absolutely amazing! Who is his surgeon? A beautiful, perfect little smile he has!

Keep in touch! -Anna Fowler