Saturday, April 2, 2011

To sleep or not to sleep?

We recently charged the battery in our camera that takes video, and I am so glad that we did. I was able to catch this gem on camera tonight!
This reminds me of BYU. I often wanted to say to the student falling asleep 
"Just give up and put your head down!"
It was always funny to watch though.

To explain this video, I must reveal a bad parenting moment. We went to our monthly game night last night and stayed until 11pm. Ezra was a champ, but very tired by the time we got him home and into bed. Despite the late night he still got up at 7am and then refused to nap even though he was clearly tired. Once Bob left for dinner with the Elders Quorum before heading to the priesthood session of General Conference I made Ezra a simple dinner of frosted shredded wheat and fruit (it was what he wanted and I wasn't in the mood to fight). He didn't make it very far, as you can see and we called it quits. He was in bed by 7:15. FINALLY! Tired boys are not exactly fun boys.

As I looked at what else was on the camera I came across this funny video. It is supposed to be all black because it is Bob and I standing outside Ezra's door at like 10:30pm. It was a few months ago and Ezra was obsessed with hot lava. (Don't ask me, he just thought the words sounded funny and liked to pretend the heat coming out of our vents was hot lava. I even overheard him playing with some little guys saying "Oh no, hot lava! Run Away! Run Away!"). Anyways he had been in bed for an hour and a half and I could hear him talking. When I got closer to his room this is what I heard. Listen closely over Bob's laughing and you will hear Ezra saying hot lava and then laughing his head off. What a funny boy!

You might need to turn your  volume up all the way to hear him!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Doug often fell asleep during dinner at that age. It was great because I could just shovel anything into his mouth and he would keep chewing and eat it all. Then he wouldn't wake up early because he was hungry. It didn't work too well with Bob though.

Lilly occasionally also has a thing about hot lava. I think she just likes to say the carpet is hot lava so she can watch her old g-ma climb onto things to save herself from burning up.

We are looking forward to having Ezra around to liven things up too.

Danika said...

I've seen my girls fall asleep out of exhaustion but never while doing something as active as eating. Hilarious!

sherrie said...

My kids loved playing "hot lava monster" with Steve at the park down the street (he's definitely the fun parent). There's something magically fun about hot lava and narrowly escaping being burned up (and that started even before the last Star Wars movie). We look forward to playing with Ezra soon!

We missed you guys at the birthday gathering at mom and dad's yesterday. I kept calling Eli "Ezra" because we had just been talking about you guys and wondering if Ezra would take to the pool like his father.

Cami Rivas said...

OH my GOSH! SOOO hilarious! I cracked up laughing and woke up my poor son! :D