Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Franklin Park Zoo

What a handsome owl!
Emily Russ invited Ezra and I to go along with her kids on a field trip to the zoo. She told me not to get my hopes up too high, because it isn't the greatest zoo ever, bet I thought it was much better than the Sacramento Zoo, and Ezra stayed awake for a lot more of it. They had a lot of big animals which was nice because Ezra notices those ones. We saw wildebeasts, zebras, ostriches, tigers, a lion, and a couple giraffes, among others.

Ezra and the Lion's den (with Abby and Zack)

Ezra being ostrichsized
One of the things that I got excited about was that they had a white tiger, and I found it interesting because.....
- all white tigers in captivity have been bread from a single white tiger that was captured in the 50's.
- this has caused inbreeding which has lead to a number of health problems including CLEFT PALATES.
now Ezra certainly is not inbred but I thought it was cool that him and some baby white tigers could be friends.

Anyways you all probably think I am crazy but we had a good time. Thanks Russ' for letting us tag along.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It does look like a nice zoo and I'm glad Ezra was able to enjoy it. That info about the white tigers is very interesting. I think Ava's favoite animal might be tigers because she loves to touch the fuzzy tiger in one of her books.

Ezra looks so cute in his helmet. We can't wait to see him in it at Christmas. We aren't snowboarders, but maybe we could go sledding.

Em Russ said...

it's always such a "struggle" to have you guys come along you know... :) Oh, how we love you guys anyway. If only the trip had put me into labor!