Monday, October 12, 2009

Practically perfect in every way!

Our little guy under went the knife one last time for his palate repair and to get tubes in his ears (to minimize the chance of ear infections). He has been such a trooper through everything and this time was no different. To get the full scope of what he went through this time around we are going to back up to the Thursday before his surgery. I noticed what looked like a little bug bite on Ezra as we are putting him to bed. I made a mental note to keep and eye on it and didn't worry too much. The next morning it was considerably bigger and blistery looking. I called the doctors office and they said I should bring him in a.s.a.p. So we headed into Boston, and luckily they got us right in. At first the nurses thought it was chicken pox, due to a couple spots on his face, but the doctor was sure it was impetigo and was not at all concerned with the spots on his face. We were really glad that it wasn't chicken pox because they would have cancelled his surgery but they took a swab to test for M.R.S.A.. They were worried that since he has been in the hospital so much that it may be from that, and they would need to take extra precautions for his surgery. Luckily the tests came back negative.



So Monday morning we headed to the hospital for surgery. Ezra really liked the waiting area, but when his surgeon got delayed with a previous surgery and Ezra had to go an extra hour and a half without food he was not a happy camper. He screamed himself to sleep, poor little guy. I was almost in tears, it was definitely the hardest part. I just felt so bad that he didn't understand why we weren't feeding him, it made me feel cruel. We played games with my family in the waiting area. I think the nursing staff thought we were crazy, but it made the time go by faster.

Bob hates these pictures, he doesn't like to see Ezra in such rough shape.
I think it is important to document, 
especially for other parents who will go through the same thing.

The surgery went well and Ezra was sleeping when we got to join him in the recovery room. When he did wake up his cry was much quieter than usual, and he was fairly easy to calm as long as Bob or I were holding him. Bob and I both spent the night so I got a little more sleep this time around. (That and we had a private room this time) He was really groggy the first day, but smiling and eager to get around the next day. We took him home late that night and although he had a big crying spell at 1 am it was nice to be home in our own beds. My family was a huge help and allowed Bob and I to catch up on some sleep. I was really grateful, especially because for the first few days he only wanted me so they couldn't help much then.

Ezra is doing much better than I expected. He really wants to eat real food, but is on a liquid diet until Thursday, so we try not to eat in front of him. Yesterday he tested out his new singing voice in church. He has always enjoyed the music, but now he is joining in. Bob and I had a hard time singing we were laughing so hard. He is one week post op and has had no pain medicine at all today. He is just his happy old self!


9 comments:

Melenie said...

Aww, poor baby. :( I can't imagine seeing Adam go through that. Ezra's one tough little boy. He looks like a Lundin in that last picture.

Air Force Blues said...

Yeah Ezra! What a trooper. So glad that all went well.

Danika said...

That picture of you holding Ezra with all his wires just got me. He looks so helpless and you look so peaceful yet protective. Ezra has indeed been a trooper and I'm continually amazed at his stamina but YOU my friend, you are amazing too. I hope all is well!!!

Em Russ said...

love the last picture of him and his singing was awesome on Sunday!

Anne said...

Parker is just looking at his pictures saying "baby Ezra so cute". I can't believe that he made it through so well. He is such an amazing little guy.

DaynaDouble said...

What a handsome little guy!?!? And I am not just saying that because what I am about to say next...I see alot of resemblance in him and Jett. Especially in the last pic with him cheesing it. He looks like my baby and its a little weird. You can tell they are both definitely Lundins ;) I love that babe and you. You are a trooper. Stay tuned for our hospital visit story... I plan to post it tonight.

Alan said...

Cute kid! I am so glad everything went well. Hopefully no more surgeries for a while?!?! That has to be hard to send him in for surgery. It makes me cry to read you posts, I can only imagine if it was my baby. You and Bob are troopers too!

Crystal

Lisa said...

Yeah for Ezra! He is so tough it is amazing. I am glad to see him smiling and happy. I love the photo with Ezra and the fish tank...so cute!

Ezra looks so much bigger and is he getting some chub?? Rich and I thought in the last picture Ezra and Ava looked a little bit a like. She likes to smile showing her teeth and scrunching her nose too.

We love you guys and are glad all is well. Give Ezra a big hug from us.

Charmayne said...

Oh my gosh he is getting so much more hair! He is so cute you guys! We are so happy that prayers were answered and he is doing so well. He has such an amazing little spirit. He will be a giant as he get's older. How lucky we are to have him in our family! We love you guys and miss you all.