Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Palmyra and Niagara Falls, NY

Bob and I forgot our camera when we were camping in Vermont over the 4th of July weekend, so if I ever get some pictures from the other people I will get around to posting about it. Instead we will  move on to our last big outing.

We were supposed to leave Thursday morning to head to Palmyra but Bob needed to see a patient that morning so we pushed our departure time to noon. Good thing too. I was not packed at all and Ezra slept in until 9:30 (which means that I slept in until 9:30) which was the only good part of the day. Ezra was being whiney and attached to me all morning which didn't make it easy to get ready. Not long after we got up Ezra had diarrhea. Luckily I was aware that he was pooping and we got him changed without incident or mess. I turned on a movie for him and started my packing. He came crying to me a few minutes later with diarrhea all over him. I stuck him in the bathtub and tried to clean him off while he screamed about it. After I got him cleaned up and dressed I went to assess the damages. There was diarrhea all over one of the couch pillows he had been laying on and the living room rug. I tried to clean off the pillow, but just ended up throwing it away, got the rug all clean and then headed back to the bathroom to bleach the bathtub. Thanks to all the excitement we didn't leave to pick up Bob until noon.

Bob wasn't done preparing the denture he was doing so Ezra and I waited in the car for about an hour during which time we dealt with another bout of diarrhea. Bob finally finished, but the lab was closed for lunch so we had to wait until 2 for it to reopen. Bob came out, got us lunch, took a turn changing a poopy diaper, and headed back in. At about 2:20 Bob called to say that he had dropped something and that we might as well just go home! So after two hours of waiting in the car outside of his school we headed home. Ezra pooped again on the way home and fell asleep. So I had to wake him up, change him and then put him down for a nap. Bob called to say he was done at 3:20 so I just had to wake Ezra up so we could really get on the road. We left Boston at 4pm.

Luckily on our 7 hour car ride Ezra only had diarrhea once, just before we stopped for dinner. Because of our late start we scrunched Niagara Falls and Palmyra all into Friday. It ended up working out just fine though. Ezra only had one poopy diaper that day, and it was while we were at breakfast, so not too much drama.
View from the top of the falls! This was the least Medusa looking picture of my hair!


We saved this souvenir poncho for Ezra because he looked so cute in it.
I'm sure it won't surprise you to learn that it ended 
up with diarrhea clothes in it and got thrown away.

Ezra hated when we got close to the falls because it dumps a lot of water on you.


But he loved playing with this pipe that was dripping water. 
He played with it the whole way back.


That is the Rainbow bridge in the background, and this is about as close as we got to Canada.

Ezra's favorite part of being in Palmyra was the rocks. That is the Smith Family barn in the back.

Ezra and I in the Sacred Grove. It wasn't the most spiritual time with an energetic one year old.
It is impossible to to feel the spirit there though.


We stopped by the Palmyra Temple.


This from the very beginning when the whole cast comes out on the stage. That's a big cast.

They had some pretty good special effects. I think these were volcanoes erupting.

Christ appearing in the Americas.

All in all we had a really great time, we were bummed that we didn't get to see the monument at Hill Cumorah because they apparently close it at 6, but we did a lot and enjoyed the pageant. This is another vacation I would definitely recommend. Minus the diarrhea of course.

3 comments:

Charmayne said...

What fun minus the poops. Seeing Niagra falls is on my bucket list.

Cami Rivas said...

Wow, Emm! What a trip! You just did one of those "have-to-see" trips :) Awesome. (Although I was just thinking today: I don't know when you get here! I hope it's soon!)

Lisa said...

Wow, what a crazy start to your trip. I'm glad you had fun and the pictures are amazing. Nigara Falls looks beautiful. I understand having a hard time feeling the spirit with a crazy toddler running around. I feel that way every week at church. The picture of Bob throwing Ezra in the air is great. Rich does that to Ava all the time and she loves it.