Saturday, July 31, 2010

We are going to laugh about this someday, right?

Well Bob is one week into his externship in Holyoke and the externship part of it seems to be going well. I was a little concerned when we arrived in Holyoke. I was expecting a cute little old town, and instead was greeted with the remnants of an old industrial town. It doesn't help that Bob's apartment is on the more ghetto end of town. When we walked into the apartment I was even more surprised. It was kind of gross. I don't think the guys who lived there before (which were classmates of Bob's) ever cleaned. I was expecting a cleaned out apartment, but there was junk all over, and like 4 mouse traps per room (luckily with no mice on them). The bathrooms were disgusting, to the point that Bob didn't want me to see them because he knew I would never use it if I did. What makes it even more gross was the fact that the nasty rings in the tub and toilet cleaned up really easily. The previous tenants had been living in filth by choice (or laziness), not because it was permanently like that. Bob and Henry (his classmate who is living with him) did a lot of cleaning, and the place is much better now. They are even getting the carpets cleaned. I still have yet to use the shower. I just make sure Ezra and I come home before we get too stinky.  The town seems a little better now too, since we've seen some of the better parts of it.

Ezra and I went out with them Sunday night, and left first thing Tuesday morning. Then we came back on Thursday evening so that Ezra and I wouldn't drive out and back in the same day. On Thursday night Ezra was sleeping on a mattress on the floor in our room, and was actually sleeping well (the other two nights we were there I ended up sleeping with him). At 3:30 in the morning Bob and I are woken up by Ezra screaming. Bob went to Ezra's rescue while I turned on the light and shut the door. Somehow he had gotten from his bed into a cubby thing in Bob's room that just happened to have a sticky mouse trap in it. The poor little guy had a big scratch on his forehead and a sticky mouse trap stuck in his hair. I held him down while Bob pulled it off his head, and Ezra screamed. I wish we would have had a pair of scissors. It was horrible, and I felt so bad. Bob was mad that he hadn't thrown the mousetrap away in his earlier cleanings. Luckily Ezra calmed down quickly and was back asleep within 5 minutes or so. He had crazy hair all the next day because there was still sticky in it, and Bob called him rat head the whole day. When we got home that night we stuck a little Goo Gone in his hair and it came right out. I thought I would never find the situation anywhere near funny when it happened, but I have to admit that now that it is all over with, it seems much less traumatic. Sorry that there are no pictures, you may have guessed that it wasn't a priority.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Poor kid!

sherrie said...

Oh, sad. I was holding my breath at first thinking you were going to write that he was caught in a traditional mouse trap. At least it wasn't that bad. You guys are troopers. No suffering is in vain if it leads to a good story!

Lisa said...

Yuck!! Poor Ezra!! I feel bad for you guys and especially Bob for having to live there. It reminds me of the house we rented in Biggs. We didn't move in until we cleaned and scrubbed the place which took a week. Some people really need a lesson in cleaning.

Bob- is it worse than your living conditions on your mission?

Good Luck guys!!