Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pain for Progress

Ezra has his first follow-up appointment today. They cleaned most of the boogers off the Latham device and tightened the elastic two links. Needless to say I gave him his last dose of Tylenol with codein today. I feel like the gap has closed considerably already and it has only been a week.

These are the pre-latham pictures from the Dr.
He didn't send the ones from today, but as soon as I get them
I will post them so you can all see the difference already.

Bob asked them how they placed the pins, and it is even worse than I thought. They are about 3/4 of an inch long and they just hammer them in with a dental mallet. Can you say ouch! No wonder they say the baby has the hardest time with the first surgery.

Here is one that I took today to show the progress.

As for the surgery Bob and I were amazed with how well we, and Ezra, did. I felt so good heading to the hospital and it wasn't even hard to hand him over (I was expecting to break down at this point), it just all went so fast. I got a little anxious waiting, but the only time I felt like crying was when they brought us into PACU (recovery) and he was screaming. Alas no time for tears, we had to play the comforting role. I am really grateful for the blessing that Bob gave me when we first found out that I was pregnant...in it we were promised that our little baby would be fine and healthy. That promise has seen me through Lyme disease, diagnosis of the cleft, him learning to eat, and surgery. I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who knows and cares for each one of us, and the strength and calm that he has given to me through all of this!

5 comments:

Em Russ said...

I couldn't believe how much the gap had closed when I saw him yesterday. He has done so good and I am always amazed at both of you for being so calm! I'm glad it's all going well!

DaynaDouble said...

Emm I am so proud of you. I am not sure if I could have been as strong.

sherrie said...

I'm really sorry to hear about everything that Ezra has had to go through. It is a good thing that he got through his surgery. I hope his cleft lip will grow back in a couple of months. I can't wait to see Ezra when you come back to California. Love you Ezra, Bob, and EmmaLee. Sincerely, Nathan

Nathan said...

I want to know why my mom's name came up with my comment. I wanted my name to appear. So how are things going?

Harris Family said...

You guys are doing so great. Ezra's progress is amazing. Before you know it it will be completely closed. Time just flies by. The days are so long sometimes, but the weeks just dissapear!
As a side note, have you been keeping in touch with Kalia? I know she sent you her baby photos. I haven't been keeping in touch-I didn't even know she got married. I am such a loser!