Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grins and Giggles

We know people have been asking when surgery will be in the comments and we never got around to posting something about it. The first surgery is on Tuesday. It's going to be a fairly simple procedure where they will be putting in a orthodontic device that will bring the cleft closer together. At our last appointment with the plastic surgeon he said that if they get a good enough result with the Latham device that they may be able to do the lip repair in one surgery instead of two. It will only take about a half hour. We have to stay over night for observation. The toughest part will probably be the adjustment for him to have some thing stuck in his mouth.

Latham appliance on maxillary cast

Anyway, the point of this post is that we wanted to get a video with him smiling before they started the process to change his little smile. Usually whenever he smiles and we whip out the camera, he just stares curiously at the camera but today we got really lucky and actually captured his first real laughs on camera. You may hear me cracking up as well on the video (I know I sound like a dork too but it's cool because I do it for Ezra).



Also, we found this really cool story written by the founder of widesmiles.org, a cleft organization, that expresses how we feel about Ezra's surgeries pretty well. It almost made us both cry. If you want to check it out or show it to your kids click here.

8 comments:

Clint, Camber, Camdon, Carolina, Corbin, and Cordelia said...

Good Luck with everything! We will most certainly keep you in our thoughts and prayers this week. Thanks for sharing the Lippy the Lion story... I cried the entire time. You three are such wonderful examples and I know you will be blessed. Love to you all!

PS I will miss Ezra's smile and laugh this way too. He is such an adorable child.

Lisa said...

We love the video. It is so cool to hear Ezra laugh. Your right Bob you do sound like a dork, but that's okay. It's cool to be a dork for your kids...Rich is a dork daily for Ava and that's one of the reasons why I love him. You are just being good daddies.

We wish you luck with all the upcoming surgeries and will continue to keep you guys, especially Ezra, in our prayers. We love you and miss you!

Melenie said...

I can't imagine sending my baby in for surgery, but as the story says, its for the best. I'll be thinking of you guys too.

Ezra is getting so handsome! He has beautiful eyes.

Mindy said...

That is such a sweet story. We will be praying for you guys tomorrow. I love the video of Ezra laughing, it was so fun to have him (and you guys) over on Friday. We will have to do it again some time soon. I'll see you on Wednesday, call me when you get home from the hospital.

Crystal said...

I hope everything went well for little Ezra's surgery. Good Luck with everything. He sure does have a cute smile!

Tracy S. said...

You guys are in my prayers. Hope everything went well! I love his laugh--it is too cute!

the Bunker Family said...

Soooo Cute!! We love the video, Avery likes to watch it over and over too. It's fun to watch Bob in action too! We can verify from first hand experience that yes, he is such a cute baby with an absolutely adorable smile.

Kalia said...

Emm! Ezra is so adoreable. I love his laugh. :)