Sunday, June 28, 2009

What to do?

Bob and I have been thinking about Ezra's head shape a bit lately. We can't decide whether or not to have him get a helmet. Every time we go to the doctor his head is mentioned. I personally don't care that his head is funky, but I don't want him to hate it his whole life. I felt strongly that Ezra should not get the helmet when the doctor first recommended it; maybe that was the right answer for then but not now. Bob thinks it would be best to get it, but doesn't want him to have to wear a helmet. Major pros: Ezra's head will be more normally shaped, we won't have to feel guilty when we see the plastic surgeon because we haven't done it. Major cons: He has to wear it 23 hours a day for around 3 months, a lot more doctors appointments. I am having the doctor write us another prescription and Bob is going to have them look into whether or not our insurance will cover it. We still don't know what to do though, and while it is not up to any of you we are are interested in what you all think. Please vote in our poll or leave a comment or both. We love to hear from you!

9 comments:

Crystal said...

I think the ultimate decision is, of course, up to you. My nephew has a helmet because his soft spots closed up too early and his head was growing the wrong way. It does a marvelous job and he really doesn't seem to mind wearing it at all. For them it was a choice between major surgery with no helmet or minor surgery with a helmet for 23 hrs a day for 12-18 months. His head looks great and it has worked well for them. It is so hard to know what is best to do for our children. Good luck making this decision as well.

sherrie said...

It's good timing that fast Sunday is this week. We'll be praying for you. Love you guys, Sherrie

Anne said...

Are they still worried about his soft spot? Maybe after his physical therapy he will be more willing to turn his head the other way to sleep. That might help it get better without the helmet? You and your doctors certainly know better than I do.

DaveandJessica said...

Hey guys. I say go for it after your big trip out west. That would be a long flight in a helmet. You know that Ezera will be able to tuff out three months. He has already proven that he is a total stud.

Danika said...

After what he's been through that kid is tough as nails. He won't remember it and then you won't have to worry about feeling guilty about it. So it's a win-win. But I can completely understand not wanting to put him through one more thing. I'm totally with you on that.

DaynaDouble said...

Soni's little girl wore a helmet for 3 months and they went through a lot of torment with people staring and pointing...she did not care but her mom and dad had their fill when the 3 months was up, but her head is perfect because of it. When Barry was a baby the docs recommended putting him in a helmet and his parents opted not to. Now his head is noticably mishapen and he is self-conscious of it. If I could afford it or insurance would cover I think I would do it. I second what Sherrie said above and I will pray for you also and fast for you this Sunday. Xoxo Can't wait to see you guys!

Charmayne said...

It's a choice that's ultimately yours to make. My opinion is that I have had some friends who's kids have had to have the helmet and it was harder on the parents than the kiddo's. Kids are so resilliant and three months really isn't that long. Besides Ezra has already proven to everyone that he can handle anything that comes his way. We'll be praying for you all.

Harris Family said...

He has been such a trooper with everything he has gone through, I think he'll be fine with this too. Three months isn't that long!

Alicia said...

I am undecided, leaning more toward doing it. Dad is strongly opposed. Have you heard the bottom line from your insurance about covering it? We will be praying for you to make the best decision for Ezra as we fast.